M.P. Veerendra Kumar
Born on 15th August 1937 at Kalpetta, Wayanad District, Kerala, India.
Early education in Kalpetta and Kozhikode. Master’s Degree in Philosophy from Vivekananda College, Chennai and M.B.A. from Cincinnati University, Ohio, U.S.A.
- Chairman & Managing Director, The Mathrubhumi Printing and Publishing Company Ltd. (Since 1979)
- Trustee, Press Institute of India - Research Institute for Newspaper Development.
- Member, International Press Institute.
- Member, Commonwealth Press Union.
- Executive Member, World Association of Newspapers.
- Director, The Press Trust of India Ltd.
- Member of Parliament, Rajya Sabha (2018 March onwards)
Politics, Social Work, Literary Work, Business Management
- Deputy Speaker, Students Union, Zamorin's College, Kozhikode (1953)
- All India Treasurer, Samyuktha Socialist Party (1968-70)
- Member, National Executive, Socialist Party, Samyuktha Socialist Party, Janata Party and Janata Dal (Since 1970)
- National Secretary, Socialist Party (1974)
- Convenor, Opposition United Front, Kerala (1975)
- Director, The Mathrubhumi Printing & Publishing Co. Ltd. (1977)
- Secretary, Janata Party, Kerala (1977)
- Vice-President, Janata Party, Kerala (1983)
- Member, Kerala Legislative Assembly (1987-91)
- Minister of Forests, Kerala (1987)
- Chairman, Policy Planning Committee, Janata Dal, Kerala (1988)
- President, Janata Dal, Kerala (1993)
- Chairman, Kerala Regional Committee of Indian Newspaper Society
- Member of Parliament, Lok Sabha (1996-’98)
- Minister of State, Finance (Dept. of Expenditure) – 1997
- Minister of State for Labour (Independent Charge) with additional charges as Minister of State, Urban Affairs & Employment (Independent Charge) and Parliamentary Affairs (1997-‘98)
- Chairman, The Press Trust of India Ltd. (1992-’93, 2003-’04 & 2011-‘12)
- President, The Indian Newspaper Society (2003-2004)
- Vice Chairman, the Press Trust of India (2009-10)
- Member of Parliament, Lok Sabha (2004-2009)
- Leader, Janata Dal (Secular) Parliamentary Party in Lok Sabha (2004-2009)
- Chairman, INS Kerala Regional Committee (2006–2009)
- President, Janata Dal (Secular), Kerala State Committee
- President, Socialist Janata (Democratic), Kerala State Committee (2010- 2014)
- Member, Executive Committee, The Indian Newspaper Society (14.10.80 - 03.07.17)
- Member of Parliament, Rajya Sabha (April 2016 to December 2017)
- President, Janata Dal (United), Kerala State Committee.
Services as the Chairman & Managing Director of Mathrubhumi
Elected to the Board of Directors of the Mathrubhumi Ptg. & Pbg. Co. Ltd., Kozhikode, Kerala in 1977. After two years became Chairman & Managing Director when the company, founded in 1923 by veterans of the freedom struggle, like K. Madhavan Nair, K.P. Kesava Menon and others, was in great turmoil with labour unrest resulting in deep financial crisis.
When Mr. Veerendrakumar became the Chairman & Managing Director, the Mathrubhumi daily, which is now a leading newspaper of India, had only two editions - one from Kozhikode and the other from Kochi. It now has 15 editions - Thiruvananthapuram, Thrissur, Kannur, Kottayam, Malappuram, Kollam, Mumbai, Chennai, Bengaluru, Delhi, Palakkad, Alappuzha and Dubai. Then, Mathrubhumi had only two periodicals, viz. the ‘Mathrubhumi Illustrated Weekly’ (the foremost socio-cultural and literary magazine) and ‘Grihalakshmi’ (a women’s monthly). In addition to these, Mathrubhumi now publishes periodicals segmented to reader-needs: ‘Chithrabhumi’ (Cinema & TV), ‘Thozhilvartha’ (on employment sector), ‘Sports Masika’ (on Sports), ‘Balabhumi’, ‘Minnaminni’, ‘Cartoon Plus’ (for children), ‘Arogya Masika’ (on health) and Yathra (on travel). Mathrubhumi also publishes the Mathrubhumi Calendar, Almanac, Diary, Onam Special, Mathrubhumi Annual and supplements on Sabarimala, Ramzan, Christmas and the like. Mathrubhumi Book, publication division, which has published the works of eminent personages like Mahatmaji, Chacha Nehru and Dr. S. Radhakrishnan has now started publishing works of contemporary interest, apart from its staple line of literature. It has started publishing English titles too.
The Mathrubhumi has made big strides in the field of technology and Labour Welfare Scheme’s. Introduced desk-top publishing for its production process. Web Offset and Heatset machines are used for high quality printing. Scanners are part and parcel of printing procedure in all Units. Despite the tectonic shift in technology, not a single employee has been retrenched, instead they were re-skilled and absorbed in a different organisational function. Now the Mathrubhumi has a news portal and a new media division. Mathrubhumi Television provides wholesome visual content. Through Club FM 94.3, a successful entry has been made into the radio segment.
As one of the select few newspapers in the country to be blessed with a visit by the Mahatmaji to our premises on January 13, 1934, a year-long commemoration is on, titled Mahatmaji and Mathrubhumi, culminating in New Delhi on January 13, 2011. Mr. Rajmohan Gandhi inaugurated it. Mathrubhumi Literary Award with a cash component of Rs. 2 lakhs, a plaque and a certificate is highly coveted by the literati. To acknowledge the contributions of personalities in the film industry, Mathrubhumi has instituted awards. The annual Film Award distribution ceremony is a spectacular event, both on the ground and telecast to Malayalees worldwide.
The Company has several welfare schemes for its employees. Group Gratuity Insurance Scheme, Mediclaim Insurance Scheme, Labour Welfare Fund, Pension Scheme, Housing Scheme, Medical treatment for major illnesses etc. are a few of them. Reflecting its social philosophy that the work place should mirror family values, employees are provided with nutritious vegetarian fare at the company’s expense. In tune with his lifelong commitment to environmental values, Mathrubhumi has envisioned SEED (Student Empowerment for Environmental Development) - into its second year - to promote environmental consciousness among students in 8,000 schools, currently. Water harvesting is being implemented in all our buildings and efforts are on build terrace gardens/vegetable patches, where possible, to grow organic vegetables for our canteens.
Services as Central Minister
Elected to the Indian Parliament (Lok Sabha) in 1996 and 2004 from the Kozhikode constituency. During his first tenure, served as Minister of State (Finance) and later as Minister in Independent Charge of Labour till its dissolution in 1998. As the Labour Minister, he enacted path-breaking legislation. His initiatives include:
- steps for providing Provident Fund to employees immediately on superannuation
- steps to improve conditions in Employees’ State Insurance (ESI) hospitals. Instituted facilities for surgical treatment including by-pass surgery, a boon to those drawing low salaries
- presided over the International Labour Conference held at Bangkok in 1997.
He was elected to the Kerala Assembly from the Kalpetta constituency in 1987 and was a member till 1991. Resigned as Minister of Forests within 48 hours of assuming office. His has been a prophetic voice, which warned our society of the coming dangers of globalisation, the fight over natural resources of indigenous peoples (in Plachimada, the historic resistance of adivasis and dalits against a water-guzzling multinational, supported by him, is an example), the depredations on our environment, which would have been caused by the shelved Expressway. He has championed the cause of the underprivileged, as in the latest issue of the would be dispossessed of Kinaloor.
Has contributed the following works to Malayalam literature:
- Samanwayathinte Vasantham (1992)
- Buddhante Chiri (1992)
- Gattum Kanacharadukalum (1994)
- Ramante Dukham (1995)
- Atmavilekkoru Theerthayathra (1996)
- Prathibhayute Verukal Thedi (1997)
- Changampuzha: Vidhiyute Vettamrigam (1998)
- Amasonum Kure Vyakulathakalum (2001)
- Thirinhunokkumbol (2001)
- Lokavyapara Samkhadanayum Oorakkudukkukalum (2002) (Gattinu Seshaamulla Oranweshanam – Co. author Prof. P.A. Vasudevan)
- Roshathinte Vithukal (2002)
- Adhinivesathinte Adiyozhukkal (2004)
- Smrithichithrangal (2004)
- M.P. Veerendrakumarinte Krithikal - 2 Volumes (2006)
- Haimavathabhuvil (2007)
- Velli Panimalaiyin Meethu (2009) (Tamil version of Haimavathabhuvil)
- Venam, Nithantha Jagratha (2010)
- Vaadiyan Bulaati Hein Himalay Ki (2011) (Hindi version of Haimavathabhuvil)
- Danube Sakshi (2013)
- Vichinthanangal Smaranakal (2014)
- Irul Parakunna Kaalam (2016)
- Vivekanandan: Sannyasiyum Manushyanum (2019)
- M P Veerendrakumarinte Thiranjedutha Lekhanangal (2019)
- Himalayan Odyssey (English version of Haimavathabhuvil)
Awards and honours towards contribution in the field of culture, profession and public life:
- C.H. Mohamed Koya Memorial Award (1991)
- Dubai Kairali Kala Kendra Award (1993)
- Bharat Soorya Award (1993)
- C. Achutha Menon Award (1995)
- C.B. Kumar Endowment Award (1995)
- Darshana Cultural Award (1995)
- G. Smaraka Award (1996)
- Kodupunna Smaraka Award (1996)
- Odakkuzhal Award (1997)
- Sahodaran Ayyappan Award (1997)
- Kesari Memorial Award (1998)
- Rajiv Gandhi National Award (1998)
- Chilla Sahitya Award (1998)
- Rotary Sahitya Award (1999)
- Aksharasurya Award (1999)
- Nalappadan Award (1999)
- K.V. Daniel Award (2000)
- Friends of Canada International Award (2001)
- Kerala Kala Kendra’s Global Award (2001)
- Akshaya Award (2002)
- Sahitya Panchananan Award (2002)
- Dr. C.P. Menon Smaraka Award (2002)
- K. Sukumaran Sadabdi Award (2002)
- Kerala Sahitya Academy Award (2002)
- Abu Dhabi Sakthi Award (2002)
- Akhileswaran Smaraka Award (2003)
- MES Excellence Award (2003)
- YMCA Golden Jubilee ‘Keerthimudra’ (2004)
- Lions Rashtra Seva Award (2004)
- M.I. Varghese Foundations Janaseva Award (2004)
- Abu Dhabi Malayalee Samajam Award (2005)
- Rashtradhoot Award from International Human Rights Association (India), Lucknow
- Karshaka Mithram Award (2005) – Kerala Karshaka Union (Secular)
- Outstanding Achiever Award for Individual Excelling in Social Life (2005) Conferred by Jr. Chamber International
- Achiever Award (2005) Instituted by Manjeri Chapter of Indian Jaycees.
- Dr. K.V.C. Narayanan Nair Memorial ‘Vivekananda Puraskar’ (2006)
- Dehali Kannadiga Award (2007) Best Outside Award
- Best Parliamentarian Award (2007) Instituted by Dr. Yuhanon Mar Philoxinos Foundation
- Lipi Foundation ‘Rashtra Vignana Puraskar’ (2007)
- Navadanya Award (2008)
- Vayalar Ramavarma Sahitya Award (2008)
- N.K. Foundation Award (2008)
- Pazhassi Raja Charitable Trust Rajakeeya Dharmakhadgam Award (2008)
- Sree Vishnu Bharatheeya Swami Award (2008) Conferred by Peringottukara Kaanadikkavu Madham
- V.R. Krishnan Ezhuthachan Janmasadabdi Award (2009)
- Dr. Shivaram Karanth Award (2009) Instituted by the Kairali Suhrud Vedi at Kundapur in Karnataka State.
- K.V. Surendranath Award (2009) Instituted by C. Achyutha Menon foundation, Trivandrum
- Thunchath Ezhuthachan Puraskar (2009) Instituted by the Akhila Kerala Ezhuthachan Samajam
- Balamaniyamma Award (2009) Instituted by Kochi International Book Festival.
- G. Gopinatha Pillai Award (2009) Instituted by Socialist Centre.
- K. Kunhirama Kurup Award (2009) Instituted by K. Kunhirama Kurup Foundation, Orkkatteri.
- Geetanjali Sadabdi Puraskar (2009) Instituted by Tagore Public Library, Kanhirapally
- P. Balan Smaraka Puraskar (2010) Instituted by Balan Smaraka Samithi, Palakkad
- Kesav Dev Sahitya Award (2010) Instituted by P. Kesav Dev Trust, Trivandrum
- Kamaladalam Award (2010)
- Sahitya Pratibha Puraskar (2010) Instituted by Malayala Sahitya Vedi, Delhi
- K.P. Kesava Menon Puraskar (2010) Instituted by K.P.Kesava Menon Smaraka Trust, Taroor
- K.K. Raghavan Smaraka Puraskar (2010)
- Fr. Vadakkan Award (2010) Instituted by Fr.Vadakkan Charitable Trust, Thrissur
- Kendra Sahitya Akademi Award (2010)
- Malliyoor Ganesha Puraskaram (2011)
- K. M. Seethi Sahib Puraskar (2011) Instituted by K.M. Seethi Sahib Anusmarana Samithi, Kodungallur
- K.L. M. Puraskar (2011) Instituted by K.L.M. Foundation, Kochi
- Amritakeerti Puraskar (2011) Instituted by Mata Amritanandamayi Math, Kollam
- Swadeshabhimani Puraskar (2011) Instituted by Swadeshabhimani Smaraka Samithi, Thiruvananthapuram
- Vaikom Muhammed Basheer Puraskar (2011) Instituted by Kuwait Janata Cultural Centre
- Kazimbram V.P.M.S.L.D.P.H.S.S. Award (2011)
- C. Achutha Menon Memorial Award (2012) Instituted by Qatar ‘Thrissur District Sauhrudavedi’
- Velu Thampi Dalawa Deseeya Puraskar (2011) Instituted by Chithrakala Mandalam Velu Thampi Dalawa Smaraka Kendram, Thiruvananthapuram
- Veda Ratna Puraskar (2012) Instituted by Kasyapa Veda Research Foundation, Kozhikode
- Dr. K.K. Rahulan Smaraka Award (2012) Instituted by Dr. K.K. Rahulan Sahruda Vedi, Thrissur
- P. Bhaskaran Award (2012) Instituted by All Kerala Mappila Sangeetha Academy
- KALA Abudhabi Award (2012) Instituted by Kerala Art Lovers Association, Abudhabi, U.A.E.
- Kerala Ratna Puraskar (2012) Instituted by U.K.-Kerala Business Forum & Global Kerala Initiative Keraleeyam, U.K. Chapter
- Gandhigram Puraskar (2012) Instituted by Gandhiram Books, Palakkad
- E. Moidu Moulavi Smaraka Puraskar (2013) Instituted by Akhila Kerala Sahitya Samskarika Rangam (Aksharam), Kozhikode
- Justice K. P. Radhakrishna Menon Puraskar (2013)
- P. T. Mohanakrishnan Saptati Smaraka Award (2013)
- Morarji Bhai Award (2013) Instituted by Morarji Desai Charitable Society, Kottayam
- O.K.R. Menon Smaraka Puraskar (2013) Instituted by O.K.R. Menon Trust, Guruvayur
- Kerala Sahitya Akademi’s Fellowship (2012) Instituted by Kerala Sahitya Akademi, Thrissur
- Kashmir to Kerala Social Foundation Award (2014) Instituted by K.K. Foundation, Mumbai
- Vigil Sarga Shreshta Award (2014) Instituted by Vigil Human Rights, Kerala
- Gandhi Smriti Award (2014) Instituted by the Gandhi Smriti Bhavan Trust, Kochi
- Prof. Elamkulam Kunjan Pillai Sahitya Puraskar (2014) Instituted by the Elamkulam Smaraka Trust, Kollam.
- Puthur Puraskar (2015) Instituted by Unnikrishnan Puthur Smaraka Trust, Thrissur.
- Habib Valappad Memorial Award (2015) Instituted by Habib Memorial Trust, Thrissur
- Kusumanjali Sahitya Samman (2016) Instituted by Kusumanjali Foundation
- Dr. Sukumar Azhikode Smaraka Puraskar (2016)
- Thunchan Fellowship (2016) Instituted by Thunchan Smaraka Samithi
- Janakeeya Samithi Media Award, Thiruvananthapuram (2016)
- Moortidevi Award (2016) Instituted by the Bharatiya Jnanpith
- Guru Dakshina Puraskar (2016) Instituted by Thrissur H.S.S. Malayalam Teachers Samithi
- K.P. Raman Nair Smaraka Puraskar (2017) Instituted by K.P. Raman Nair Foundation,Kottayam
- Sreeramakrishna Seva Puraskar (2017) Instituted by Sreeramakrishna Mission, Kochi
- Media Award (2017) Instituted by Janakeeya Samithi, Trivandrum
- V.K. Rajan Puraskar (2017) Instituted by V.K. Rajan Cultural Centre, Kodungallur
- G. Ramanujam Puraskar (2016) Instituted by I.N.T.U.C. State Committee, Kozhikode
- K. Chandrasekharan Smaraka Puraskar (2017) Instituted by K. Chandrasekharan Smaraka Charitable Trust, Kanhangad.
- Koladi Govindankutty Smaraka Puraskar (2017) Instituted by Yuva Kala Sahiti, Malappuram
- P. Gangadharan Award (2017) Instituted by P. Gangadharan Foundation, Palluruthi, Kochi
- Sander K. Thomas Award (2017)
- A.K.S.T.U. Award (2018) Instituted by All Kerala School Teachers Union
- Dr. Sukumar Azhikode Tatwamasi Award (2018) Instituted by Tatwamasi, an online collective of writers.
- Kalanidhi Madhyama Ratna Award (2019) Instituted by Kalanidhi centre for arts, culture and research, Thiruvananthapuram
- Deenabandhu Award (2019) Instituted by the Poor Homes Society, West Hill
USA, Canada, UK, USSR, France, Thailand, Brazil, Costa Rica, Columbia, Guatemala, Singapore, Sweden, Norway, Finland, New Zealand, Australia, Belgium, Switzerland, South Korea, Hong Kong, Germany, Netherlands, Austria, Italy, Greece, Iran, Kuwait, Bahrain, Muscat, Qatar, U.A.E., Malta, Cyprus, South Africa, Japan, Indonesia, Iran, China, West Indies, Malaysia, Cambodia, Spain, Portugal, Ireland Nepal, Yugoslavia, Hungary, Romania, Czech Republic, Poland, Ukraine, Jordan & Turkey.
Father: M.K. Padmaprabha Gowder (late)
Mother: Marudevi (late)
Wife: Usha Veerendrakumar
Son: M.V. Shreyams Kumar
Daughters: M.V. Asha, M.V. Nisha & M.V. Jayalakshmi
Office: Chairman & Managing Director, The Mathrubhumi Ptg. & Pbg. Co. Ltd., M.J. Krishna Mohan Memorial Building, K.P. Kesava Menon Road, Kozhikode – 673 001, Kerala, India.
(O) 0091 495 2366655, (P) 0091 495 2366423, (Mob) 98470 11849, (Fax) 0091 495 2765623/2366656.
Residence: ‘Lakshmigiri’, P.O. Chalappuram, Kozhikode – 673 002, Kerala, India.
Tel: 0091 495 2301393
Permanent: Puliyarmala Estate, P.O. Kalpetta North, Wayanad – 673 122, Kerala, India.
(O) 0091 4936 202344, (R) 0091 4936 202355/202484
E-mail: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org